how far away should i...

lowzone

New Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Northern NJ
Visit site
Hey,

Ok, im moving my 125 into my living room and im making a enclosure around the whole tank, so it looks like a wall unit/furniture. Im going to use cabinetry doors and hindges and should be good for access around the tank and for the plumbing of the wet/dry system and canister filters ect.... anyway i plan on upgrading my lighting. I dont plan on doing clams or anything too difficult,but i do want to increase my lighting. Any recommendations? its a 72x18 125 gallon tank. I was thinking metal Halides, but do i REALLY need them for basic corals and inverts? im talking crabs, shrimps, mushroom, bubble corals, stuff like that, or can i get away with VHOs. OK, now should i center a 48" VHO or Halide set up or go for the money and get 2 24" or 36" and put them equally from side to side? Is it that important to light up the WHOLE tank or just sections where the main stuff will be. I will have over 250 lbs of live rock in the tank to put the corals on. If i have to do Halides say 250w , i will have a shelf above the tank to hold the ballasts and other wiring, sort of like what some people have over their refridges at home. If i where to mount the lights off under this shelf, how far away should i have the lighting to have enough air space for cooling? and how far away from the tank to prevent heating up the water? These heights will determine the height of the shelf from the top of the tank. thanks for any ideas
Regards
Ron

Last edited: