How high is to high ?

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
That is on the high-ER side but from what Ive read fish can acclimate to a higher PH and yes it is best to leave it alone, once you start messing with the PH it seems to cause the other balances to go wonky. Im by no means an expert but I have read afew things about this...what kind of fish do you keep or are wanting to keep?

Apr 9, 2006
College Station, Tx
i have a couple of guppys in the tank right now and seem to be doing ok, i wanted to get some neon tetras but wasnt sure if the ph was to high, perhaps i should check the ph at the lfs and make sure its not to dramatic of a diffrence. Only about a mile away so hoping its more or less the same.

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
fish can get used to any pH as long as they dont get tossed from pH 7 to pH 8 all in one shot!

i would ask you lfs what there pH is. that way you know what kind of change the fish will need to adjust too.

you might want to setup a quarantine tank with a pH that closely matches you lfs pH so you can slowly let the pH rise and the fish get accustomed to the higher pH.

but if you lfs has a pH similiar to yours (probably does), shouldn't be much of an issue since the fish will already be used to a high pH

davidmold

Small Fish
Apr 12, 2006
www.lanticmedia.com
You have to be very careful about ammonia levels with a high pH, since at 8.4 an amount of ammonia which is barely measurable by a standard kit (<0.25ppm) could be very dangerous for your fish. That's the only problem I could see.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
With high pH level ammonia spike or even nitrate spike is not as dangerous as very low pH level. With low pH (mean the water acidic), the ammonia or even nitrates can turn be very dangerous to fish as they would be ionized.

Rohn

davidmold

Small Fish
Apr 12, 2006
www.lanticmedia.com
The opposite of what rohnds said is true, at least as far as ammonia is concerned. Low pH makes ammonia less dangerous, high pH makes it very dangerous, because at a high pH more free ammonia is formed as the ammonium ions dissociate into ammonia and water. pH has no effect on nitrite toxicity, or nitrate toxicity as far as I know.

Apr 9, 2006
College Station, Tx
well ive been watching the ammonia closely and doing water changes each time the ammoina hits 1ppm. Which brings me to a question. Ive had my tank for about 2 weeks now. However i still havent seen a trace of nitrites. I bought a plant a couple day ago at the lfs in hopes that maybe it would help bring in some bacteria into the tank but so far nothing. Is it normal for it to take this long for the bacteria to start forming ?

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
The opposite of what rohnds said is true, at least as far as ammonia is concerned.
I dont think you read my post carefully, did you?
You just reiterated what I said in the next statement. So who is wrong?

Rohn

The botton line is lower pH level means the water acidic and can have drastsic poisonous effect on high Nh3 and NO3 dur to incrase H+

Toddlee

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2006
Swannanoa NC
Table 1. Un-ionized NH3 as a percent of total ammonia (by temperature and pH). Percent NH3 of total ammonia
Temp (F) pH 6.5 pH 7.0 pH 7.5 pH 8.0 pH 8.5
68 .13 .40 1.24 8.82 11.2
77 .18 .57 1.77 5.38 15.3
82 .22 .70 2.17 6.56 18.2
86 .26 .80 2.48 7.46 20.3

percent of NH3 is very dependent on pH

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Like everyone's already said, it's safer to leave the high pH than to try to mess with it. Just watch your ammonia and temp levels very carefully. I know you're trying to cycle your tank but with that high pH you're going to have to change your water even more frequenty. I have a tank that's been cycled for nearly a year and suddenly my fish started exhibiting symptoms of ammonia poisoning even tho test results showed none to very miniscule ammounts. It was roundeyez who helped me figure out the problem (thanks again!) I've lowered the temp and added some plants to help with the ammonia and haven't had any more loses.

Stay patient though cuz that cycle might take a couple months with such frequent water changes. Good luck!

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
I have a German Blue Ram right now that is sensitive to well water(High ph of 8.4)which I have and I acclimated him really good and hes still living! I got him around mid February and hes healthy:D