How I'm winning the war on aiptasia

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
I'm in the process of taking down my 29 gallon and compiling it into my 55 gallon, and I knew one thing for sure- I didnt want ANY aiptasia getting into this other tank. Ive heard people using kalkwasser to kill aiptasia. I have kalk I got for free of a buddy- I never use it, too bothersome. So I placed some rock in a bucket and dumped some kalk in so it would cover the rock, let it sit for hours and hours, appears aiptasia free, give it a good scrubbing to remove the melted twiste bodys, and there you have it. Appears to be working. The kalk caked the rock... I was worried about what effect it would have on other organsims long term, but everything appears fine. Hoping the established rock cycles the tank more effective and adds different types of life to the tank.

PS. This tank is a ways away from completion, it will have much more rock and equiptment, keep in mind. All the lightining, etc will be moved to this tank, and the plastic hoods will be replaced with more glass ones... the tank has come a long way from being a temporary winter housing for my pondfish for many years...

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That is NOT a good idea. If you have used enough kalk to kill aiptasia (and saturated kalk is about about pH 12.4) you will have killed a ton of other stuff. Check the pH in the tank......

I have seen a few recs for ultra saline/ultra high pH baths for live rock to get rid of unwanted hitchhikers, I think it is plain stupid _ I buy live rock for the living things on it.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Just as I feared, a dumb move. Worked but not worth repeating. Live and learn.

I definatey agree with you there, thats the beauty of live rock, creatures on it, just these ones grew out of control while I regrettably did nothing

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Thanks, I did hear alot on the joes juice, I actually ordered some but the store/site actually burned down right when I ordered so unfortunately it hasnt come. I tried this in the meantime. WIl ldeff give joes a try again.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalk works jsut as well, but you have to get them to ingest it. Rumour has it JJ is kalk + tabasco sauce. But they do open up well for it.