How long before guppies and mollies give birth?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
My sister-inlaw's 12gallon Eclipse tank has some guppies, mollies, CAE, SAE, and Amano shrimp. We used Bio-Spira to cycle it, and planted it moderately with tenellus, amazon swords, anubias, and lotus nymphae. We have CO2 running on it and it is beautiful for her first tank, very clean, no alge problems yet almost a month in.

My question is this: How long will it take guppies and mollies to give birth after they have mated? She is very eager, and I haven't had mollies mate in YEARS, and have never had guppies.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Not quite sure anymore.I've been taking the males straight out and into another tank as soon as I spot 'em.Probably 3-4 weeks,maybe a bit longer.I'm sure someone has better info than me on that.

Be prepared for a tankful in no time at all though.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Many times mollies and guppies are pregnant straight from the store...so it could be anywhere between NOW and 3-4 weeks like TLH said. If they're "happy" and you feed them live brine shrimp and other type foods besides just flake...they tend to have healthier babies and color up nicely. A lot of times mine would drop right after a big water change using slightly cooler water.

Obviously if she wants lots of babies she needs to have a lot more females than males...hopefully you all picked out some big mommas ;) I think both guppies and mollies have larger broods as they get older/bigger.