how long before i can put live rock in

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
hi all. i just set my tank up today and added the salt. going to leave it for a couple of days to cycle. then ill do a salt reading. how long if everything is ok before i can put live rock in and some mollies..

cheers aron.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you can put your live rock in as soon as the salinity and temperature are stable and you know that all of your equipment is functioning properly...why are you adding mollies? if you plan to use them to cycle the tank it isn't necessary. if you just want to keep them you should wait until your tank cycles (if it does)

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
thanks. i was going to use then to cycle the tank. ok the live rock should clear up the water right. cause right now its very murkey. (proberly cause of the new gravel, i washed it heaps)

cheers aron.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
hmmm. so what do i use.

i was told for my tank to have an empty canister filter to act for water movement and the LR would do all my filtration.

my tank is going to have live rock and fish and some soft corals

so what do i have to do now to clear up my water - activated carbon..

cheers aron.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
well, after time your tank will start to settle and clear on it's own. I dont think you need to use carbin. Just give the water and salt time to mix real well. And you may want to think about looking a protien skimmers if you want to put corals in.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you have to wait for the particulates to settle down. you could rutn off your pumps and such for a few hours, that should do it. carbon won't help

the LR does all of the biological filtration so your information is correct. most saltwater tanks don't use mechanical filtration