how long should i wait

Sep 4, 2005
in my last post i asked how many neon tetras i can add to my tank (10 gallon tank with filter and large live plant filled with 3 neon tetras, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 golden/black mystery snails, and an african dwarf frog). From what i heard i can add 5 more neon tetras, but since i didnt have enough time to properly cycle the tank, how long should i wait before i add the final 5 fish?

i would wait, i know your probley excited, but 5 days of cycleing a tank isnt long at all in my eyes... i know it may be killing you to add the rest in, but i would wait... the biggest thing i have learned is to not rush things, because it can make things worse, you tank isnt even through the entire cycle yet.. so most likely i think they would die... i always cycled my tank with 2 danios ... i would actaully wait a month, and add two neons, wait another 3 weeks and add some more, and keep a close eye on your water (test it often)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Have you had any ammonia/nitrite or nitrate show up? I think because its planted you are OK to put more fish in sooner than a traditional unplanted tank...but I think I'd wait either a few weeks or for any spike in nitrate before I added anymore fish. Depending on the plants you have, you may not see any spikes at all...but you should at least test and see.