How long to cycle?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
im a newbie at taking care of fish and plan on getting my first actual aquarium (i have a few fish bowls at the moment) at the beginning of next week. Im planning on getting a 15-20G aquarium...approximately how long will it take to cycle before i can start putting fish in?

tessalion said:
im a newbie at taking care of fish and plan on getting my first actual aquarium (i have a few fish bowls at the moment) at the beginning of next week. Im planning on getting a 15-20G aquarium...approximately how long will it take to cycle before i can start putting fish in?
That depends on who you ask. ;)

My LFS told me my tank was ready after a week...now, I have lost some fish, and that 'could' be the reason.

I believe I've read on here that a fully cycled tank is six weeks, if done right. The thing to really remember (as I found out the hard way) is to add your stock slowly, and be sure to acclimate them properly.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
It won't cycle at all without a catalyst -- either fish in cycling (which can take longer and endanger the fish you start out with) or fishless cycling (which is faster because you can allow the toxins to build up to unsafe for fishes levels since there are no fish in there) There are stickies at the top of this forum which explain the processes and also MANY threads addressing just this thing. Have a rummage around and ask any questions you may have afetr that. :)

Toddlee

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2006
Swannanoa NC
how long will it take to cycle before i can start putting fish in?[/QUOTE said:
You should get test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH, then you can follow the cycle your self. My 29Gal was cycled with fish and it took 60 days.
The 5Gal cycled fishless and took 51 days. Both tanks started from scratch with no seed material.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum and post any more questions that you have.

Have fun.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
ive read the cycling information on this site and others and i was just curious for a general in your experience guess as to approximately how long it would take. what do i need the PH kit for? (well testing PH obviously but what role does that play in cycling?)

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Cycling a tank can take anywhere from 1 month to 6 months or more. It depends upon you how you catalyze the tank to cycle faster. I got my tank cycled in a month. Use bio wheel or sponge from an established tank. And you will be running good.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
Actually,try cycle ur tank for 1 day with ur pebbles or sand.When da water clears,put in some plants if u want.after three days it is safe for them.1 month to 6months is most probally for da well planted plants.it take dat long actually is to stabilize their plant condition and da water.Actually 1week will be da best.