how long to run old filter with new one?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
So i have a 40 gal that has been up and running for about 8 or 9 months, gravel bottom bunch of tetras and a few platies medium planted.

I had a HOB filter running and a power head with a big foam sponge on it (with DIY CO2 hooked up to it)

Anyway i relized that the HOB was for a 20 gal so i got and aquaclear 50 and have all three running now, i want to pull of the small HOB because it's kinda noisy. I added the proper sized one saterday, i was wondering how long i should wait to pull the small one off not to crash my system?

Thanks

ravichr

Medium Fish
Apr 18, 2005
Mansfield, CT
I had the same situation. Had a 5-15 filter in a 14g tank. But wanted a more powerful one. So brought an AquaClear 30 and had it run alongside the old filter for 3 weeks. I've heard that 2 weeks is a good duration, but I let it run for 3. To be more safe, I removed the bio-pad from the old filter and just inserted into the new one. Hope it helps for you :)

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
That's what I did with my 29, just took a filter cartridge from my smaller filter and tossed it in the back of the penguin 200 to help cycle the tank.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Well the old one has the virtical plate with a sponge for bio media, the new one is set up horizontally with the sponge on bottom and biomedia on top (i really like how the aquaclears are set up) and has ceramic chunchs for media so i can't put any old media in the filter.

So sounds like two weeks for the old filter to run? also i treat the powerhead sponge as a biomedia so that should help since it won't be leaving