How Long

Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Ok, well I've been doing some reading on "cycling" of a new fish tank, which I currently am in the process of doing, my question is, HOW LONG DOES ONE CYCLE FOR... Been reading threads and haven't found a 'real answer' for it.

I have just recently purchased a 60g tank and put about 5-6 live plants in it, and just gravel in the bottom. I have a Penguin 350 Bio-wheel filter in it ( I plan on putting my aquaclear filter from my 25g in as well [ unless i put more fish in my 25g tank]) and 2 heaters (not sure of the wattage, one is small the other is larger,[primarily put two in so i could raise the water temperature quicker]) Anyways, I have been cycling the water now for 3 days, and I know that is not even close enough of time (I plan on getting the water tested at a lps on Monday, to check my 'levels' and purchase my own water testing unit as well). I am planning on putting 3 Red bellied pirahannas in there. NOw that i have cleared everything up with the background. And inserted more brackets then you can wag a stick at(sorry wanted to use that saying ALL MY LIFE)

Question how long do cycles 'ususally take'? (please don't say 3-20 weeks lol)
Inserting my filter from the 25g tank would increase the cycling? (yes no?)
Is there anything I can add to increase the cycle time of my tank?

And question Totally off this topic

I am planning on getting some driftwood for my 60g tank does anyone know of how to sterilize the wood or what not, I refuse to purchase driftwood considering I live on the West Coast.

thanks a bunch

zoo minsi

Large Fish
Jan 8, 2005
michigan
Visit site
Dennis-Pir said:
Question how long do cycles 'ususally take'? (please don't say 3-20 weeks lol)
Inserting my filter from the 25g tank would increase the cycling? (yes no?)
Is there anything I can add to increase the cycle time of my tank?

And question Totally off this topic

I am planning on getting some driftwood for my 60g tank does anyone know of how to sterilize the wood or what not, I refuse to purchase driftwood considering I live on the West Coast.

thanks a bunch

well i usually cycle mine for bout 3 weeks, there are test kits out there to monitor the water and will let you know better, there is also something you can add to cycle the tank but for the life of me i cant remember what its called right now, im sure someone else will chime in with it.

as for the drift wood some people like to soak em for a couple days and some boil em. Im actually boiling a new piece right now, since its to big for the pot i do one end for 1 1/2 the the other and switch back and forth for like 6 hours.

when you add the wood its going to release tanins into your tank and make the water look yellow to brown, so water changes are going to be in your future.

hope it helps and as im not even close to being the smartest person around here im sure others will have some helpful advice for ya, good luck.

Feb 8, 2006
Three weeks THREE WEEKS i'm moving in 2 months.... well lets see, Well like i said I'm going to the LFS on Monday and will see what he says, not that I don't think there are some very knowledgable ppl in here I just was planning on going there anyways.

But yes thanks for the help and on the driftwood suggestions that seems like a good idea.

What if the driftwood floats? lol should i just make sure it doesnt' when i get it, As i said I live right on the coast and getting wood is not a problem I just know from reading around that pirahannas like that sense of being able to hide behidn pieces of wood, adn it reminds them more of home in that instinctual kind of way.

zoo minsi

Large Fish
Jan 8, 2005
michigan
Visit site
Dennis-Pir said:
Three weeks THREE WEEKS i'm moving in 2 months.... well lets see, Well like i said I'm going to the LFS on Monday and will see what he says, not that I don't think there are some very knowledgable ppl in here I just was planning on going there anyways.

But yes thanks for the help and on the driftwood suggestions that seems like a good idea.

What if the driftwood floats? lol should i just make sure it doesnt' when i get it, As i said I live right on the coast and getting wood is not a problem I just know from reading around that pirahannas like that sense of being able to hide behidn pieces of wood, adn it reminds them more of home in that instinctual kind of way.

lol three weeks is what i do im not sure on how long others do and there is a cycle product you can get to speed it up but i dont remember the name.

as for if the drift wood floats 2 options on lay large rocks on it to hold it down or get a large slabe of slate glue the wood to it in the position you want the set it your tank and cover the slate with your substrate.

Feb 8, 2006
Hmm that seems like a good suggestion (on the driftwood part that is)

and on the cycling part,

I know the longer you cycle the better off your fish are, but how are ppl so patient. (becasue they love their fish.. ha ha I know I know)

I'm mroe concerned that maybe I shouldn't transfer my 3 rbp into the new 60g tank because I am moving in 2 months, and it'll be crazy stressful for them. Hopefully someone here in the forum can suggest something or, i'll ask the dude at the lps. =)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Bio-Spira works as long as you don't expect to fully stock your tank. You can also transfer some filter media from your 25 gal to help speed things along.

When you move...unless your talking about a day or so..chances are as long as you keep the filter media wet in tank water it will live and still be cycled when you get to where you are going.

I did this when I moved from VA to FL with my 40 gal and didn't even go through a mini cycle. Just make sure the tank is the last thing you break down and pack up and the first thing you unpack when you get to your new house.

Or move it a day ahead of your other things if possible.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
on the drift wood part , i went to a site (dont remember the name of it) that gave some simple instructions on do it yourself peices, with the 2 peices i have made myself i pressure washed them, rinsed them off in a bucket a few times, and then baked them in the oven at 300 degrees for about 2 hours( dont forget to rotate and flip them or it will singe the peices), then i glued the peices together and soaked them for about a day to get the peices "water-logged" i have been tempted to glue them to some slate but they dont need it. this does take a bit longer than zoo-minsi's method but it is still effective, and yes the water still goes yelow from the tanins, but a few water changes clears that up.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Use a bit designed for drilling concrete. Little ones cost about 2 bucks each. It looks like a normal drill bit sept the top has what looks like little emmm wings (best I could think of) on it.

You can use normal bits too, start small and then go larger. You kids out there may want to hide the bits from your dad afterwords...they will be trashed.