How many fish can I keep?

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I have a ten gallon tank with 5 Zebra long-finned Danios and 5 Neon Tetra's. Some fry hatched and I saved a few. I'm not sure if they're the Neon's or Zebra's. If I had to guess I'd say they were Danio fry.
I think I'm already at the limit of fish for my tank size. I want to keep some of the fry, but I don't want to overcrowd. How many more Danio's or Neon's can I keep in my tank?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
yeah as chazwick said, your already fully stocked. there most likely danio fry, as there a lot easier breed than neons, i guess you could try and keep just one or two of them if you wanted.

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
ONeill074 said:
I should have gotten a bigger tank:rolleyes: Oh well, I'll think about getting a larger tank in the future.
Heheheh. :) I think that is the mantra of anyone who owns an aquarium. My father (the one who got me interested in aquariums when I was little) started out by taking over my 5 gal goldfish tank and eventually ended up with a 100G Marine tank in the basement... I think he still would have went bigger, but Mom put her foot down. :(

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would break the trend and say you could keep some of the fry, maybe 5. I know people say one inch of fish a gallon, but that's pretty conservative plus small fish like these have such low bodymasses that you can bend the rules a bit. Just don't be silly

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
wayne said:
I would break the trend and say you could keep some of the fry, maybe 5. I know people say one inch of fish a gallon, but that's pretty conservative plus small fish like these have such low bodymasses that you can bend the rules a bit. Just don't be silly
Thanks. That's what I thought, but just wanted to confirm it with someone else's opinion.*SUPERSMIL

Oct 24, 2005
It's not just about room, it's about waste too. If you keep 5 fry, by the time they get bigger you'll really have to keep an eye on you ammonia levels as they'll build up fast. Which really just translates into more work with water changes for you.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
bucs_hothead said:
It's not just about room, it's about waste too. If you keep 5 fry, by the time they get bigger you'll really have to keep an eye on you ammonia levels as they'll build up fast. Which really just translates into more work with water changes for you.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
I ended up buying a 20 gallon long tank. The 10 was too small for my taste.