how many hours of light?

Dec 28, 2004
The Netherlands
Visit site
Hello folks,
Enclosed are some pictures of the saltwater tank I recently purchased. It's been a challenge to connect the pumps, filters and other equipment that came along with it. Bought a few kilos of live rock today simply cos I couldn't wait any longer. One question I have is how many hours of light does the tank require once it's running? There are two HQI lamps of 150 V and one fluorenscent light. Does the running time depend on the type of fish you have? Some people advise 9 hours and some advise 12 hours. Does someone have a right answer?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
running time depends on what photosynthetic organisms you keep...most people with corals run the lights 12hrs a day (a timer is an important, and cheap, investment)...but there really is no "correct" answer i suppose, you have to consider the animals you are keeping and the intensity of your lights

fish don't need any light

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
like camaro said it depnds if you are keeping photosyntheic organisms. For a cycle I would probably have the flourescent on for 12-14 hours, and the halides for 4-8 hours depending on what else your keeping.