How many rocks in a 75 Gal?

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
This is for my freshwater tank, but figured you guys might know better about rocks in a tank. I went to Lowe's and found a kewl rock, but I am not sure if my tank can hold its weight or a 2 of these. They are pretty heavy around 30-40 Ibs each. My tank does not rest on a flat bottom stand but it rests on the 4 sides of the stand (not sure if this is normal?). I see all these salt water reef tanks and tanks with tons of rock, how much can a tank hold and is there anything i should know before placing one or two in? How heavy are coral rock? The bottom of the tank is tempered glass which should be strong.

Another question is there any way to make sure the rock is ok for the tank? I don't have muratic acid to test it, I have it in a 5 Gal bucket, cleaned it and washed it and will keep changing the water in the bucket. How do I make sure its going to be safe in the tank for the fish?

CRACKERMAN

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2009
you need two months of patience before you add live rockks to be safe actully
either wise you can add them one per week
or after 15 days of cleaning
try 3 kinds of sizes
small
medium large
put large first then medium then small
becouse heavy large rocks will be collecting most of your debries
and medium rocks your algae,anemone,worms mostly
i have preety good knowlegde about rocks and very deep intrest also
plus i am willing to help answer too
not like some people around here bamming others dreams into pieaces

dont put large rock as in the center pluse even if you want to put those
put them in such a way that all the corners have same weight
and put them over the sand(that will help them to coer the weight according to there corners)
if you are asking for freshwater then forget the first part
be happy go lucky
feel greedy 4 more( always)

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
you need two months of patience before you add live rockks to be safe actully
either wise you can add them one per week
or after 15 days of cleaning
try 3 kinds of sizes
small
medium large
put large first then medium then small
becouse heavy large rocks will be collecting most of your debries
and medium rocks your algae,anemone,worms mostly
i have preety good knowlegde about rocks and very deep intrest also
plus i am willing to help answer too
not like some people around here bamming others dreams into pieaces

dont put large rock as in the center pluse even if you want to put those
put them in such a way that all the corners have same weight
and put them over the sand(that will help them to coer the weight according to there corners)
if you are asking for freshwater then forget the first part
be happy go lucky
feel greedy 4 more( always)

How much weight is in a normal reef tank (just need an idea of what I can work with) I don't want to but to much in and the bottom fall out or break. These rocks are pretty heavy, I was thinking of using 2. Is the live rock heavy?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
there can be up to two pounds per gallon of rock or more... plus the 8 pounds of water per gallon on top of that. Since SW tank's rock is very porous, the rock doesn't displace as much water as you'd think.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The live rock used in saltwater tanks is a lot lighter than many kinds of landscaping rock.

One thing you can do is put eggcrate on the bottom of the tank before you place the rocks and substrate. This relieves pressure points from the rocks, and helps to spread the weight evenly over the bottom of the tank.

In place of muriatic acid, you can try vinegar, or freeze distill a little vinegar to concentrate it (it's legal). If you decide to freeze distill vinegar, watch out, because it is much more acidic, and more dangerous if you get it on skin, clothes, surfaces.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Guys, bill isnt talking about live rock...so it may not be porous. careful what you tell im, or he may have a crushed tank. Theyre river rocks from what i uderstand...

CRACKERMAN

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2009
if your tank does not have a flat base to protect
then
you must be carefull of your tank may break lose
anyways
if you have a stand then your 50% work is done
now only you need a flat base to cover the underground of your tank
then you can put those 2 big rocks
that is safe