How many WPG do you need for your average reef system?

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
I have access to a lot of free fluorescent ballasts from work. The only bad thing is they are only like 20W but I can get about 8 or so will that be good enough to make a reef tank out of a 55 gallon tank?

What kind of stuff could I keep in such a tank if anything at all? I know they aren't the best but you know, I have a bunch of ideas swirling...

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
espically in SW, WPG is not very usefull this is beacause it depends more on the tank depth, but for a normal 55 reef you would probably want around 8wpg PC, but i think for a tank that size that MH would be a better idea.

cheers

-Java

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
I'm measuring them now and I can position them to fit 5 across like that but they will be a pain to change.

No I was going to get the brightest fluorescent lights and some actinics but I'm guessing that I'd be better off doing a planted tank.

Last edited:

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
Hmm that’s what I thought :(

oh well I guess I'll do a planted tank, I figured so...

I'll make bad *$$ tank, and make it better than Amano's...

jk...

unless I can do it...

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It could be made to work but would be a real p.i.t.b. The reason halides are so good is apart from being ultimately 'better' as there's so much more clout, they are so much more forgiving of inadequacies in the rest of the setup. This would work on a 12,14 inch deep tank, on a deep 55 with slightly yellow water, forget it.