how many...

lnm130

Small Fish
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
dwarf gourami's can go into a ten gallon tank? I do frequent water changes and such. are these fish like bettas, and dont really care for filters? or can i attach an established HOB? I'm only looking at dwarf gourami's.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think I would go for 1 or 3. Having a pair sounds like its asking for trouble because they are nippy at their own kind...esp if you have two males...or one is a bit larger than the other.

Jawz

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2003
ontario, canada
Visit site
i think its the other way around, that they should be in pairs cuz then the dwarfs swim with one another. Here's what i gathered from one of my sites:

The Dwarf Gourami, also known as the Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami, the Red Dwarf Gourami, and the Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami, is a peaceful, shy fish. If in a pair the two fish will swim together.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
I would avoid keeping them in pairs. Try just one, or three. That way, the aggression is non existent, or is divided among three separate fish. Two males will not swim together or buddy up. They will pick on each other constantly (unless you get two very docile ones).

I think you can keep one pearl gourami in a ten. They are not big swimmers and would fit relatively comfortably in a ten gallon, but I'm not sure how they'd do with all the other fish you are planning on.

I'd just get one dwarf gourami and add maybe a few smaller fish:) BTW, the females are much less attractive than the males, in my opinion:)