how much does a cleaner shrimp need to eat?

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
pretty simple question, hopefully with an equally simple answer. ;)

right now my pico only consists of inverts, with the shrimp being the only creature whose diet i am really concerned about (everyone else has PLENTY of algae to munch on). i bought saltwater 'granule' food for my lil guy, and he eats it right up. question is, how much does he need? i've only been dropping 2-3 granules in the tank each day. i know he always gets at least one (i watch him and he gets it right away!), and he may or may not get the other 2 eventually.

should i be feeding him more? i don't want to starve him, but i also don't want to over pollute the water, creating unnecessary nitrates (and thereby unnecessary extra WCs!).

jessey

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Im not sure about how much they need to eat but when I first got my clean up crew, we were not feeding the tank (obviously) and one day my boyfriend came home to find our cleaner shrimp eating a left handed hermit crab. We *think* it was because the hermit was out of his shell and vulnerable but who knows, maybe the shrimp was preying on him because he was hungry?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
My cleaners seem to have no limit on how much they want to eat. Mine will eat three or four pellets each, if they can get them before the gobies and peppermint shrimp. I'd think a couple of pellets a day, in addition to whatever algae or whatever they find on the live rock, should be enough.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
the funny thing about them eating the pellets is that u can tell how much he ate cuz there see through lol
i miss my cleaner...im planning on getting a smaller one since the one i had before didnt do much cleaning...hopefully the new guy will have some luck.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
mine does the same thing! :) at first he was just crawling around on my hand, but then i felt a little 'pinch' - scared the crap outta me. and i was hoping i could hand feed him, but when i tried he was more interested in exploring my hands, lol.