how much gravel do i need for a 55 gallon?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
planning out everything i need to buy for the aquarium and i was wondering if anyone could give me an approximate amount as to how much gravel i would need for a 55 gal?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
When I bought my gravel, on the back of the bag it said for every gallon of water, you should have 2 lbs of gravel. When I fitted only 10 lbs for my 10 gallon, I was a bit short. But having 2lbs per gallon is a bit much. So I would aim for 1.5lbs/gal.

Also, try to mix up the gravel (not color, but density and texture).

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
How much gravel depends entirely on what you want to do with your tank. Some people even keep barebottomed tanks. In my goldfish tanks, I get just enough to cover the bottom -- my plants are all attached to driftwood anyways.

Methylx

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2006
Ft. Worth
www.myspace.com
Minimum of 1lb per gallon I say but personal preference and tank dimensions is also a factor, some tanks are tall and some wider covering a greater surface area at the bottom making it necessary to have a bit more gravel to cover all the surface area. Good example of that is a 20 gallon tall and a 20 gallon.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
i was under the impression that it was almost a must to have gravel or another substrate...?
Oh no, there are alot of ppl that have barebottom tanks for different reasons. If they are breeder tanks, speciality fish tanks like for instance Discus barebottom tanks can be kept in pristine condition for better water quality control. Some even put potted plants in the tank instead of burying them in the substrate..depends on what you intend to do with the tank and there are lots of options *SUNSMILE*