how much gravel?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
It depends on what type of setup you plan on having. For plastic plants all you need is enough to hold them down, and an inch or inch and a half should be sufficient. If you go with live plants, you need to look into gravel/substrate closely. If you don't have live plants then you want to keep the gravel clean by regularly vacuumin it to remove the crud that settles down into it. Gravel serves the purpose of increasing the surface area on which nitrifying bacteria live, as well as mimicing the natural environment of some fish. There is no right or wrong amount, so go with what you like.

newman187

Medium Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
I have a spare 10g tank lying around because I converted my 50 gallong salt tank to freshwater (yea yea i know people usually do that the other way around) and I plan on taking that 10g tank to work and making it into a planted FW tank, and I plan on having a 3" substrate (flourite) to grow plants. Like NOD says it all depends on what you wanna do. A planted tank can be very beautiful, planty of things you can do. A bit more info on what type of fish you plan on keeping as well as if you plan on having plants in there.

Jadenblack

Large Fish
Mar 14, 2005
Vacaville, CA
www.gotpitbull.com
I only had 1 inch of sand and I was really happy with the way that it looked, but when I went to add plants I realized there was not enough sand to hold the plants. So now I have about 1 inch in the front where there are no plants and about 2 inches in the back so there is slop from front to back, I heard that is how you should do it any ways.

I would start out with 1 inch and then add to it as you plant.