How much higher can my nitrites go?

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
I am in the middle of cycling my tank....fish IN. My ammonia peaked, and today has finally dropped back to zero. My nitrites are off the chart and have been for 2-3 days. I've been doing 20% water changes daily since they've been so high. Before that I was doing 10% every other day. I was just wondering how many more days I can expect of such high nitrite. Can it get any higher if there's no ammonia? My nitrates are increasing daily.

I'm running out of water conditioner, so I'm trying to predict how many more daily water changes I'm going to be doing. My poor fish have all made it this far (1 dwarf gourami, 2 cardinals, 1 neon), but we are also battling ICK. And I'm having trouble keeping my tank hot enough since our house cools at night considerably. I hope the treatment works. (salt and heat) One of the cardinals is looking pretty stressed....his fins are a bit ragged, and he's the one who has the most spots.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The nitrite peak can go on for a week or more, but sometimes is shorter. The reason you're not seeing any ammonia is because the population of bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite has reached its optimum level to process the ammonia in your tank. The bacteria that processes nitrite into nitrate takes longer to establish, which is causing your nitrite levels to stay high.

The chart and article here might help you understand what's going on: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=14

You need to keep up with the water changes until the nitrite goes down. Nitrite is more poisonous than ammonia is. if you don't have a heater, then you need to get one. Stressors like low temperatures, ammonia and nitrites will generally cause ich to appear, as the fishes' immune systems are compromised.

Get some more water conditioner, and keep up with the water changes, and hopefully everyone will make it!

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
I do have a heater, but I'm doing the salt/heat treatment for ick, and I'm trying to keep it up to 88 degrees. It's just having trouble staying up that high overnight.

I was wondering if someone can tell me how to 'vacuum' the gravel. I've probably done some overfeeding (my gourami 'begs' for food everytime I look at him), and figure that's not helping my nitrite problem. Do you actually have some kind of vacuum you buy....or is there a way to do it yourself?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net