How Much Live Rock for 125?

dbarrs

New Fish
Dec 30, 2005
How much live rock does anyone recommend for a 125? Can I use mostly live rock with some filler rock? When I get this tank going I will post some pics. What fish would be good for a community tank?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
For a tank that large I dont know an exact poundage suggestion, but usually the more the merrier for live rock. If it were my tank I'd spend a bit on base rock (cheap live rock, or some dead) and then spend a large chunk of money buying some large show pieces of live rock...they can be very hard to find, but if you just get a bunch of little cheap dense rock its going to be pretty hard to aquascape the tank the way you want to. (although a lot can be said for using zip ties and other ways of connecting the rock to each other)

For a 125 you have SO many possibilities of fish that you could add...I'd suggest taking a look at some sites that have a lot of options like www.liveaquaria.com to see if any fish strike your fancy...check out your local stores and do the same. If you find one or two fish that you REALLY want, you can kind of design the tank around them and make sure they have exactly what they need...and then maybe add another few fish that would match well. Since you have quite awhile to decide which fish to put in while your tank cycles with the LR and you get everything right...there's no rush to figure out your exact stock. A lot of times the way that people run it is to get the plumbing and equipment right (tank, lights, heaters, powerheads, skimmers, sump etc), get the hang of water chemistry (mixing and aging water for water changes), add Live rock to cycle for a couple weeks or a month...add a cleanup crew (crabs, snails etc), then add fish SLOWLY.

Would love to see pictures...thats a nice big tank :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Your q's are too vague, but I'd go with 100 pounds of Fiji/pacific per se, or 200 of Florida aquacultured.

There are too many fish to list - what do you like - start vague - do you like shoals of small fish, big fish...?

dbarrs

New Fish
Dec 30, 2005
I love tangs and triggers but I here they don't mix very well. I am really looking for a lot of color. I want to purchase them small to watch them grow. I live around alot of that coquino rock, is that good to mix with my live rock.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i'm not sure what coquino rock is but you don't want to mix anything weird into your rock structure. if you want to save money go for some base rock; its much cheaper than LR and will eventually get all the good stuff on it from the LR you buy. also, you may want to think about buying your LR online as it is generally much cheaper that way if you are buying a large quantity

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well I inthk you could 2 or 3 tangs in there if you make smart purchases but most triggers are not good community material, and frankly a 125 (4 * 2 *2 ?) is not so much swimming space for a foot long fish.

I am going for, in a slightly larger tank, majestic angel, Kole tang, purple tang, raccoon butterfly and marine betta - that's the sort of thing to look at sizewise I guess