How much live rock is enough?

Wormo3188

Large Fish
Apr 6, 2003
New York
Visit site
Ok, I am working on setting up my new 29g tank as a salt water setup, I was wondering, just how much live rock would be nescessary? I mean, how many lbs of rock are needed per gallon? I thought that there was a conversian calculater link on here somewhere, but I cant seem to find it, if you could just let me know how many lbs of rock I would need, that would be great, thanks.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Most would suggest between 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon. It really depends on what you want to do with your tank. If you plan on keeping fish that need more swimming room than most, you might want to go with less per gallon, if you plan on making it a mini-reef you might even want to put in more.....

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
It really is hard to say for sure, It depends how you wanna stack it, and what type your using. There is no such thing as a calculator, as it is just a pile of rocks. But like toodles said 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon.

With a small tank you should probably hand pick the pieces yourself at the store, rather than getting a "grab bag" through mail order.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes , it's unfortunately a bit vague. People used to talk about anything up to 2 lbs per gallon but tat's a bit much. I think 1 a gallon is a good starting point, maybe 1.5 for smaller tanks. Learn to 'aquascape' it to get a nice airy design, don't just put it all in a pile (unless you like it like that), it looks better and more waterflow means it works better.
I like bits with holes so I can fix em together with zip ties, or you can glue bits together to make arches, caves and so on that don't collapse.