How much Sand is not enough

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Whan I was talking to my LFS guy the other day, I was asking him what a Refugium filter was, I told him I saw one on line in someones tank. He told me, and said that I didn't need one, that he was having me set up a Berlin system in my tank with minimum amount of sand in my tank, and that the skimmer and LR will be my filtration system. I didn't ask him how much a minimum amount of sand was, guess I will find out when he gives me the sand. Anyway, I really want to have (unless ya'll tell me I don't want this) a Goby and one of those shrimp that pair together. I know that those shrimp need so much sand, so that they can dig around and make them a home. How much of a sand base do I need for one of those shrimp, if the lfs guy dosn't give me that much sand to put in the tank can I add more, if I do add more is that going to mess with my LR, skimmer filtration system, if it will mess with the system do I have options?

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
This guy is the owner, and I think very knowledgeable. I think I understand what hes doing, maybe, lol , Less sand = less bio load on the system. But, I really want the goby and shrimp.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I think what he's saying is he's not planning on you have a deep sand bed running in the tank which is about 5"+ of sand. It adds more things to worry about like keeping the sand stirred so you don't get toxic gas build up.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You either want to have a shallow sand bed of about 1" which you will need to turn and stir up or go with a deep sand bed of about 5-6: which depending on the size of the sand grains determines the depth necessary to creat a working sand bed. A dsp helps in the nutrient export by helping convert nitrates to nitrogen gas. It is also a great place for many beneficial fauna that will add to the cleanup work in your tank. Some dsbs if not deep enough can lead to problems years later as they can release toxins trapped deep in the bed if not properly maintained. With a shrimp gobie pair you will want at least a 2" bed and lots of rubble as the pistol shrimp like to use the rubble rock to build their tunnels with so they don't collapse. The shrimp will more likely keep the bed churned which will make sure there isn't any dead spots. If going with this pair then don't put the rock on eggcrate as it interferes with their tunnelling. Just place the rock directly on the bottom and make sure it is solid so that any sand activity around the rock doesn't topple it. I actually put my rock on pvc pipe I laid out and the shrimp uses these as tunnels.....along with those he made. I have had my pair (shrimp gobie) for about 3 years and believe me he is constantly moving stuff around. At night he comes out and gets frags if I don't give him enough rubble.

As to whether you need a refugium......It is nice to have and is a space to grow macro algae to help with nutrient export. It also adds water volume and more is better in this hobby. It is a refuge for coepods and other beneficial critters to live without being preyed upon by hungry fish in the main tank. A refugium is almost a must have if you are thinking of going with a mandarin dragonet.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I don't remember if you got a tank with overflow(s) or not, but if you did, a refugium should be very easy to set up. It's likely the LFS guy will try to give you bioballs for the sump, but some sand/LR rubble/macroalgae and a light over it is all you need to do for a refugium.

I went for a shallow sand bed (less than an inch). At the beginning I did have a goby/pistol shrimp, and made the sand a little deeper at the end they chose. Be warned that you will need to have your rock resting on the tank (or on egg crate), not on the sand. When those critters start to dig, they'll cause a rock slide if the rock is on shifting sand. For sand-sifting gobies, you should try to get fairly fine sand. Oolitic sand is rounder (and kinder on their gills) than others. It usually says on the bag if it's good for sand-sifters.