How much

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
I'm not trying to scare you away, but just to let you know what a friend of mine recently went through...
He had a 20 gallon pirahna tank, decided to convert it to saltwater
30 pounds live rock - $450
compressed lighting - $200
Argonite sand - $50
Salt, for the water - $50
fish and corals - $300

This setup lasted for around 6 months, basically, I'd do his water changes when I came over, he didn't realize how often he'd need to do them on a 20 gallon without a sump or anything. Two weeks ago, this tank and everything in it, was sitting on his curb. garbage. he gave up on it.
Just basically wanted to let you know, make sure you know exactly what you need, before you even try.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
TOAM....I guess that would equate out to what.....$10 us? just kidding....I get those comments all the time being a canuck in the midwest.......

I guess my $100/week has slowed somewhat lately as my tank matures.......but if you are just wanting to know what the electricity would be it depends on the size of tank, what is in it etc.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
The electricity is likely less than you think else you run 400 watt halides. Decent water pumps will really save you money. Salt is really the biggest maintenance cost, and that is pretty cheap if you buy in bulk.

Sad to say, if you don't plan TOAM's story is pretty much par for the course. Pln correctly, and lets just say I put together 200 gallons, with more, better kit, for about twice, 2.2 times that in total ( except 60 pounds liv rock)

Nov 24, 2006
I have a 210 gallon Meat etaer fish tank, a 175 gallon shark tank, a 30 gallon live rock sheahorse tank, and a 55 gallon what ever fish is being bad tank. it runs me about 60 amonth for salt, and about 50 amonth for food. As for chemicals maybe 50 to 100 a year ESTIMATE ONLY as for the electricity i have no idea never figured it out. and water bill is maybe 5 a month more.

Xeruf

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2006
Toam said:
I'm not trying to scare you away, but just to let you know what a friend of mine recently went through...
Argonite sand - $50
fish and corals - $300

This setup lasted for around 6 months, basically, I'd do his water changes when I came over, he didn't realize how often he'd need to do them on a 20 gallon without a sump or anything. Two weeks ago, this tank and everything in it, was sitting on his curb. garbage. he gave up on it.
Just basically wanted to let you know, make sure you know exactly what you need, before you even try.
let me guess you have a 20gallon in the truck of your car now hehe

Xeruf

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2006
and as for my upkeep costs I say arround 20$ for food per month, and I have a huge tub of salt so I dont need to buy that for another year, cuz with evaporation like 90% of the salt stays in the tank.

and now the flip side to my monthly bills, the last few months Ive been running up 100 to 150$ a week, but that is for fish coarls ext...

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
Originally Posted by Toam
Argonite sand - $50
fish and corals - $300
That is alittle much i just started a tank and it is still going on but it is a 29g and this is my startups.
20p live rock-90
lighting-100
sand-60
salt-50
and i havent gotten to corals and stuff
phs-50
skimmer-100
tests-40
hydrometer-15
so yeah all the small stuff adds up
ebay can be your friend

jamesw

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Surrey, England
ok cos i have a 20g or 15g tank sitting next too me empty, what could i do with it is it big enough to have a couple of SW fish in there i just love the coral it looks sooooo nice.

thanks

Xeruf

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2006
jamesw said:
ok cos i have a 20g or 15g tank sitting next too me empty, what could i do with it is it big enough to have a couple of SW fish in there i just love the coral it looks sooooo nice.

thanks

well a good guild line to follow with salt tanks is to get the biggest tank you can afford / house in your place. the larger the tank the more forgiving the water changes that can happen in your tank will be. for example, say the power goes out and you have a small 20 gallon tank, the temperature is going to drop much faster with a smaller tank than a larger one.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
Flowerkid said:
That is alittle much i just started a tank and it is still going on but it is a 29g and this is my startups.
20p live rock-90
lighting-100
sand-60
salt-50
and i havent gotten to corals and stuff
phs-50
skimmer-100
tests-40
hydrometer-15
so yeah all the small stuff adds up
ebay can be your friend
he didn't buy from ebay, just directly from the pet store, hence the high prices, live rock was $11.99 a pound, the light was actually $152.99 plus tax, but I just gave a rounded off estimate, I am probably over a little bit.