How often change 7 gallon?

BettaLove

Large Fish
Jan 19, 2006
I have a 7 gallon tank at work. How often should I change the water? Weekly? I have a filter and aeration in it.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
If you have a filter, I don't think your in need of constant water changes. Maybe once a week take a little out, just to keep the water fresh. If it wasn't filtered, it might have needed changed more.
It also depends on how much you're feeding them. The heavier the feeding, the more you'll need to keep it clean, since it is a small tank.

Persimmon

Small Fish
Jan 31, 2006
Yea, there needs to be a filter for goldfish. They are very dirty and can cause the water to be toxic in a day. If it is reccomended that a goldifsh has 10 gallons minumum each and there are two in 7 gallons of water, I highly doubt there is no need for a filter.

edited for typo

Sep 8, 2005
I would change some water weekly. It is a small tank and even though it is filtered and aerated it will decompensate without weekly water changes.

Your Sig is correct in that you have a betta, platy and cory in there and not two goldfishes right?

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
i would think 2 gallons weekly would be great...
[that's wot i would doo... :)]

if you don't mind me saying...wot i would also do...
is get a bigger tank for the platy and the cory and get them some chumz... :)
'snot fair to keep them as solos...imho... :)

BettaLove

Large Fish
Jan 19, 2006
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am planning on moving the catfish and platy to my 30 gallon at home. I guess I will change 50% of the water weekly.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
BettaLove,

Greetings...I know I'm just new on the forum here as I'm writing this, but in my experience I wouldn't think that a 50% water change is needed. In my opinion, changing 1-2 gallons per week ought to be more than plenty in a 7 gallon setup.

Of course, as Persimmon indicated, only your water parameters will reveal, with any degree of certainty, how much/how often you do in fact need to change the water.

Big Vine

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
Also a newbie, but I was under the impression that doing more than 30% in a water change is not recommended unless circumstances are dire. Something about shocking the fish -- even if you're careful about temperature and dechlor(amine), the act of taking out half the fish's water might be stressful. A stress-free fish is a happy, healthy fish!

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Yeah, I think the only way to really shock the fish is with either an extreme change in the type of water or big change in temperature. (Like taking them out of a 85F degree tank and putting them in a 60F degree tank, that'd probably shock them.)
I've done 70% water changes before and my fish have been fine.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Overall I think it's just a matter of balancing the amount of work you do to maintain the tank vs. the benefits that stand to result from that amount of work.

In other words, if a 1-2 gallon weekly water change will do the trick (test water parameters to verify that this is the case), then why expend more time and effort in changing 3, 4, or even upwards of 5 gallons in a tank that is only 7 gallons to begin with?

I agree that 50%+ water changes are typically not a problem; however I don't see the point in doing so if it is not necessary.

Big Vine

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
Ah, okay, that makes sense too. Efficiency, that's the key! :) Or the law of diminishing returns might kick in at some point, and it's worth ensuring that the amount of work done doesn't detract from the amount of fun had :p

Or something. *crawls back under the gravel*