How often should I be feeding my fish?

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
I have been trying all day to get a hold of the old owner of the tank and fish to see how often he feed them. Just wondering if any one had any suggestions?

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
likewise. but since i do it twice a day, i dont make the feedings too big. (i suppose im the only one who can judge that) But, about a pinch in the morning and a pinch at night

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
My fish get fed once a day usually 3-5 times a week, they dont even get fed every day. If you feed them once a day about the amount that they can eat in a few minutes, that is plenty. Skipping a day once in awhile is good for them. Make sure you're feeding a good quality flake food as a staple (I like OSI cichlid flake for my cichlids) and regularly mixing it up with other foods such as frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
i am bad with my fish... i feed them three times a day. Not big portions very small amounts just to keep them sorta aggressive for food hunts...lol. I am starting to slow down, i used to feed my pleco nightly, bottom dwellers in afternoon, and all others in morning. But the problem is my guppies eat more of the algae wafers than my pleco does... so i just choose one food and feed them three times a day. Going to start with two times a day once my fry are big enough to be set free.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I feed all of my tanks once a day, sometimes skipping a day or two a week. I mix between bloodworms, flake, microworms, and frozen brine shrimp.

I feed my fry twice a day...usually alternating between microworms and crushed flakes. Probably going to start cutting back as they are getting older.