how often should you check your water?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I used to do it more often. But after the initial cycle period and everything looks stable (with weekly water changes), I've seldom used my testing kits.

When should be the next time I check my tanks?

Methylx

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2006
Ft. Worth
www.myspace.com
I've been told to be on the safe side basically do it before and after every water change you do, but you'll begin to learn what suits you. I say its better to know about an eliminate a problem before it occurs then try to fix it after. So preventative testing is a cheap way to keep things from getting out of hand.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
honestly *hangs head in shame* I rarely check my water parameters unless something is going wrong visibly (fish dying/cloudy water/murky water/fish acting weird). I do my regular water changes, check how things "look" every day, and try not to overfeed. But, my tanks have been running for a couple years. I try not to overstock, keep up on the water changes, and don't overfeed. If anything bad happens then I will test the water, other than that, I rarely test the water.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Twice monthly, with water changes, until everybody's all grown-up and you've got a genuine feel for how things are going. After that, you'll know enough to know when you should test.

Owing to well-established, regularly maintained tanks with stable populations, and a water supply of consistent quality, I don't test very often. A city water supply with the source being a river or reservoir would likely prompt me to test more often since there can be profound seasonal variability in water quality.