how should i run my lights

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i got the coralife dual timer and its pretty cool cause it controls daylight, actinics, and lunars all in one timer ... i have the actinics come on an hour before and stay on an hour after the daylight bulbs to simulate dawn/dusk btw i have my daylights on for 8 hrs a day but u can have it on more if u want
oh yea and be carful with lights from odysea the have been horror stories of ther fixtures catching on fire in the past! it was with metal halides though and i think they may have corrected the problem but i still wouldnt buy from them.... congratulaions on your new lights though :p

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Ahh I am not sure about the lights either but I did buy a 24" mh fixture from Homby off ebay and it works great.....so remember you get what you pay for I guess. The problem I think with the old style Odyssea lights were the ballasts burnt out really fast and some had problems with them catching fire. I believe they have since fixed the problems.

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
that too...but hopefully these are just for the time being and i can upgrade to a better light setup in a couple months...one more question...this may be a dumb one but i dunno...is there any way to attach the light with the legs provided to my tank it has a glass cove on top..so i dont know because i thought the legs had to go down inside the tank ?!? maybe im wrong i just dont know

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the legs are just to raise it up .... they sit on top of tank... u maywanna consider removing the glass top since it traps the heat in and replace it with egg crate

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
if they sit on top im not sure how it works it looks like it has screw clamps the go down inside the tank and tighten...and what do you mean by eggcrate?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
egg crate is flourescent light diffuser panels that you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot and run about $10 a sheet. You then cut it to fit the top. It helps keep jumping fish in but lets the heat escape from the water and also adds in the gas exchange at the surface which supplies your water with oxygen. Glass covers tend to inhibit the gas exchange a bit and when splashed with water can inhibit the amount of light that gets into the tank also. Trade the glass cover with eggcrate.... :)