how small can a Q tank be?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i've been doing a bit of reading lately and it seems that a Q tank is strongly reccomended--so i was wondering how small i could go

i have a 29 gallon tank right now, so i was wondering if i could get away with a minibow 5 gallon aquarium
the fish in the 29 will only reach a max size of 4-5 inches
is this too small?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No don't worry about that too much. I have just room lighting on mine. I also have some bits of plastic tubing , a plastic plant and sombits of old eggcrate glued into a bench affair just to have some structure. I also use a piece of fairly cheap liverock that I can pullout if there is a problem involving treatment.
I have used, but don't like, a five as a QT tank. This is meant to be a period when stress on the fish is lowered, and putting most fish above an inch in lengh into a 5 is not going to help stress levels

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
the only decor you need are things like wayne suggests, which can be removed real easy. the fish will need cover so they're not stressed whilst being medicated or resting. no lights, just a filter and a heater.

EDIT - ooops! just noticed this is in the saltwater section, apologies, I need a shower now to get this smell off me! LOL

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Here is a list of materials for an acceptable Q-tank. Make sure not to put more then 2 small fish in it.

10 gallon tank
25 watt heater
sponge filter-seede from another aquarium
3 or 4 pieces of PVC for the fish to hide in
Sheets of paper or background to cover the bottom and sides of the tank

Optional:
A top with light
power filter
cured live rock

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
can a glass or plexiglass top do? i could easily throw a quarantine tank together for $40 or less--and i could probably do without the heater altogether---in my fw aquarium last "winter", it was in use for maybe three days, tops

and a question on seeding--i am running a HOT Magnum "Canister" filter w/ a micron cartridge to remove large debris OR w/ activated carbon cartridge....i dont think i could seed a tank w/ this though...so i'm out of ideas as to what to seed w/

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
A glass or plexiglass top could work. just as long as somethings covering the top. I live in Michigan so in the winter a heater is a must. For seeding, all you do is put the sponge filter in a tank with some fish. Keep it there for a week or so and when you need it just plop it over to the q-tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Or set up the tank a couple weeks in advance, and put in a small internal powerfilter and a piece of really cheap live rock. The live rock will seed the powerfilter, and a powerfilter will provide better water movement than the sponge.
Be aware that if you have to copper thtetank or medicate you'll need to pull out the liverock. I would probaly then put it in a yoghurt pot of saltwater for a month or so and reuse. You can't put it back in the tank - it might be infected with whatever.