How to cure live rock ?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What sort of state is it in? Is there anything in the tank now. Basiclly curing is the process of rotting off dead stuff, and it's a good idea to keep ammonia levels reasonable else they'll kill anything that's still alive. Why not put it in the 16 gallon, and kee p an eye on ammonia levels, and do big water changes as required?
That assumes the tank is empty, and you can stand the rotting smell

Aug 20, 2003
Boston, MA
people.bu.edu
The way to go is to buy the live rock at a local store that has it in a tank already cured. The minimal die off that occures when you drive it home will allow you to cycle(cure) your tank quickly and easily. Mail order rock will have more die off and take longer to cure(cycle) in your tank.

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
I personally prefer curing my own LR. This is because I am then in control of the amount of die off. If you want to save as much life as possible, perform frequent water changes and keep some light on the rock. Most of the LFS's I've seen do not perform any water changes and may light the rock while curing. The one tradeoff is that if your using the rock to cycle your tank, the water changes may lengthen your cycle.

Brian

Jul 22, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I had just bought the tank it is juwel aquirum. My tank is empty.What must i have or do while curing the rock? like on the filter,on the lights.on power heads for water movements ?
when i change the water must i add new salt?
:confused:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
If I had a small tank like this I'd only buy cured - you know what you'll end up with. Screw up curing and you've got some expensive dead rock, and unfortunately I think you have a fair chance of screwing up when you're new. You need to kep the skimmer going and replace water with fresh salt water as you're trying to keep as many organisms as possible alive. Keep the powerheads going too.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What sort of filter? Skimmer yes, if you get one, the juwel internal, no just take it to pieces and use it as a powerhead as it's worth zero.
Lights no, not really worth it.

You put the LR in the water and do water changes as required till ammonia and nitrite are at zero. This may or may not take weeks depending on how much stuff on the rock dies. If you do no water changes and lots of stuff dies it will stink like hell. You replace old water with fresh saltwater

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Skimmer would have to be on to prevent excess wastes killing the live rock life forms. Ck the ammonia levels, if it gets too high, try changing some water. Also keep lighting low & less lighting periods. This will keep nuisance algae growth to a minimum. If this tank has inverts such as snails or starfish, any ammonia spikes will surely kill them.