How to do a tank change?

ts808

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2008
I've had my tank up and running now since January and other than algae eaters killing my fish, no problems at all.

My question is...how often (if at all) do I have to change the gravel or clean the undergravel filter (if I even need one)? I have an Aquapos 24 gal that I'm using as a freshwater tank.

Also, how do you clean the gravel (I do vacuum it once a week or every two weeks when I do water changes).

Is it best to do a little at a time?? I don't want to take my fish out of my tank and into another, and then return them for fear of shock, new cycling etc.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mercury

Large Fish
Jun 11, 2008
Illinois
You should never have to change the gravel. What you can do is siphon water into a bucket below the tank using a tube, such as buyable tank-siphoning tubes. :) If you don't buy a tube, you may want to stick a funnel on a hose, which widens the end a bit. The reason to have a widened end (The end in the water) on the tube is to reduce the amount of suction so you don't suck your gravel. Just start siphoning, and stir the gravel, so the junk floats up, and suck the junk into the bucket. This cleans the gravel and Forces you to do a water change, which is a good thing to do.

As for cleaning your filters, do it when you see stuff building on it or it is not working properly.

Last edited: