How to frag mushrooms?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
what i do is simple : the "foot" of the mush is glued to a rock..i use a shapr exacto or cutter, and just slice a tiny bit of the edge of the foot...like 2 mm max. I turn the rock so the new chunk will be able to get some light. That's it
Eventually, even kinda covered by his "mom" fully opened, he'll grow. First it will be translucent, then will become thicker, then the "crown" will form..after that the baby will try to reach more light, growing toward light and possibly moving.
You could use the exacto and slice under the chunk, scraping the rock.
Anyways that's what i do, and it works.

I wish i could do like mush and cut my pinky toe, then a new me would grow and go to my job while i spend playing with my tank :D

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i usually cut the entire top off. a new one will grow from the leftover bits. i then take the top and slice it into 6 or 8 "pizza" slices. i put those in a small tupperware container with holes drilled through and filled with coarse sand. in a few weeks the slices will attach to the gravel and can be superglued wherever you want them

of course, they spread pretty quickly anyway so you can always just wait on them too

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
after getting home from DC and learning about the massacre that occurred in my tank, i noticed something good--the mushroom whom i had fragged a month ago has regrown another from its former stalk--i can't wait to frag this poor guy :)