How to get rid of ich

Jun 24, 2009
I realized this morning that my tank has ich. It looks as though my Ram has it. I am pretty sure I got it from a LFS I haven't used before. The store was a new local business and I wanted to help support them, but just a day or so after introducing the fish I purchased there, my fish started dying, now it has pretty much ran through my tank. All I have left is the Ram, Gourami, 3 tetras and an Otto. The ram and the tetras look really bad. I know it wasn't from my tank conditions because I stay on top of my water changes religiously and I had just did a water quality test the night prior to them dying and everything was in range. It wasnt from over crowding as I only had 13 fish for my 30 gal tank (9 tetras). So anyways what is the best way to treat this? I don't have a hospital tank but I may pick up another tank today and get a filer for it to isolate the Ram who shows the signs, but I would be cycling from start anyhow and it would no doubt stress the fish even more and probably kill it. I have done about a 30% water change this morning and plan on doing as close as possible to 100% change daily, but I also read that the filter has to go too, as well as the gravel. So I am pretty much killing the biological filter and starting from scratch???? If so this totally sucks.....A dumb mistake by me and now I am paying for it.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
the quickest and eisiest method that i have read ( i have not had to use yet, thank god ) is raise your temp to 84 degrees i think, and add aquarium salt. if thats what the problem is.
someone with more expo will chime in.
hope this helps
later