How to handle a cloudy tank?

ThePrep95

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
I made a post recently about my trouble with a cloudy 44gallon pentagon tank. I have an established tank 29gallon with no water problems. My question is what is the best way to go about breaking in a tank to ensure the cloudyness goes away, as I have read many conflicting reports.

In my particular experience, I drained my cloudy tank dry, washed everything and put my rainbow shark and algae eater in the 29gallon in the meantime. I let the tank sit for 3 days and it was as clear as can be, but the instant I added one algae eater, the water became merky. It isn't as bad as it was before but still doesn't look nice. I know this is normal, but my question is, how should this be handled?

I have heard to do 25% water changes every 2-3 days but leave the gravel alone, I have also heard do nothing and don't change the water until it takes care of itself. Is my algae eater enough to get the cycle going? Should I add gravel from the establised tank? One of the 2 filters from the establised tank? My problem with that is, when I did it last time, it made the cloudyness worse.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome =)

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Exactly what gerald said. Once you add fish to a tank that hasn't had fish in it then a bacterial bloom will happen. Its perfectly normal. This happens when if you would start over, cleaning your gravel, filter media and all decor and other things all the old bacteria is gone. So then everything is put back water in, and fish in, a bacterial bloom will happen. *Note that no one would ever start over then add fish in right away in a tank 10 gallons and higher. This is what happened to a member on here when she cleaned out the bettas tank.*
Anyways, don't worry about it. It's all normal:)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
An algae eater is 'enough' to get the cycle going...but plecs are not usually known for their hardiness. If you washed everything and let it dry out then your bacteria are probably history :( That was a very bad move.

As long as the water is murky white (sometimes it almost looks like someone spilled milk in the tank) then you ought to just leave it alone...you have other things to worry about. Your fish really dont care if the tank is cloudy...its just bothering YOU.

To help your tank re-establish itself you could do everything you mentioned. Seeding this tank with used filter media or gravel will introduce the bacteria back into your tank and help it populate faster. You can also bump the temperature up a bit if its not already at 80 or so. Feel free to take a look at the sticky threads about cycling...they have some good tips for things to do while cycling.