how to lower nitrates??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i wanted to know how to lower my nitrates because ther way high... besides doing like a 80% water change.... this is on my 55 gallon that is about 2 or 3 months old i did a 10% change yesterday and there still high...by the way the reason i say 80% water change is because that what another website suggested

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
LOL, nice guy aresgod. well you should never ever do an 80% water change, and your tank is still young, some tanks can take a long time to cycle. I imagen you dont have anything in it right. And what kind of filter do you have or are you using a skimmer? and you should be changing about 25% of your water a month. and someone will probably put a beter post up than me so keep an eye out.(that is if they are nicer than aresgod) lol *twirlysmi

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
aresgod is nice... but this questions been answered twice for just me on this site. If dude doesn't want to read or at least thumb thru the old posts on this site im sure the vets on the site aren't willing to help if he isn't gonna help himself. Just my interpretation.....

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yes to both of you but we have made numerous suggestions to TRe here at MFT and he/she has taken none of them....so i figured i wasnt worth my time, plus I kind of enjoy being an ***
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well if they are really high you are going to have make some massive changes as 10% is really very small. FWIW I'm running a 5 gall atthe moment , and am seeing what happens when I do 50 % 2 or 3 times a week.
Dinatrification filter ($$$) or algal refugium? What skimmer?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
like wayne said, 10% is not very much. if your nitrates are 80ppm and you do 10% then you are only taking out 8ppm so you are still at 72ppm...theoretically

an 80% water change will be a temporary solution but your bioload will need to be reduced or you will have to do consistent large weekly water changes to keep the levels down

wayne: i do not believe he is skimming this tank and if you look at the signature it is way overstocked. i think you missed the string of posts about it all while you were on hiatus (hence aresgod's frustration)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i did get a skimmer... the prizm protien skimmer and i do a 5 gallon water change every week...do you suggest i do a larger water change each week?? btw thanks for the help wayne and camaro

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
you probably overfeed the fish. I've found that if you feed them just enough to satisfy their hunger, but don't allow them to stuff themselves, then they don't produce much waster at all. FEED LIGHTLY. They will not starve.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well he has a puffer,notoriusly messy eaters, so even to feed lightly there will be wastes, TRe has high nitrates because the tanks are overstocked producing lots of amonia, then nitrite, then massive amounts of nitrate, which has to be manually removed or with a fuge, or many other options

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i do listen (sometimes) *twirlysmi gave back the queen,got a protien skimmer, got power heads...the one thing i wont give up though is the puffer he's the only fish i have that actually has a personality.. he'll come up to the glass and beg for food, he'll actually take the krill right from your hands,when ever i put something new in the tank he'll try to lay right ontop of and i mean anything crabs fish what ever he's definitly the coolest fish...id like to get him a much larger tank but that'll have to wait a while

JEP

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2005
Elgin, IL
Curious, why do you say that Tre's tank is overcrowded? He lists:
{
55 Gallon - saltwater
45 lbs. live cured hatian rock, 30 lbs. black sand
-- porcupine puffer, niger trigger, yellow tang, 5 hermit crabs, mexican turbo snails
}
That's three fish, unless they're each a foot long.
If not, as was suggested, I would check how much they are being fed and keep water changes consistent.