How to prevent ich

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
I was looking around for info on that subject and most of it seemed pretty vague. Some sites say it is everywhere and the healthier the tank is, the less chance your fish have of getting it.

Rarely do the nitrites rise above zero (once in a while it gets between zero and .25) and ammonia is always zero. The Bluegill in my tank are constantly chasing each other around, except when they see me. Then they stare at me, waiting for food.

Are there any proactive steps I can take to make sure this parasite does not occur in my tank?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
The less stress your fish are under, the better over all health they will be in. Look at any potential causes for stress in your tank, and try to eliminate them. Dirty water, not enough places to hide, temperature going up and down are all some fairly common sources.

I've read that too about the parasite always in the water, and I don't know if it's true or not. I do know that it's been over 5 years since I had a case and the only thing I do in my tanks is regular maintance and I choose my fish carefully.

Also quarantining new fish for a few weeks really cuts down on the chance you'll introduce ick or something else to your established tank. This can be a pain to do, but in the long run it is worth it. Also the way you acclimate new fish into any tank has a big part in the stress role. I use the drip method and it's never let me down yet.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
The less stress your fish are under, the better over all health they will be in. Look at any potential causes for stress in your tank, and try to eliminate them. Dirty water, not enough places to hide, temperature going up and down are all some fairly common sources.
Quoted for truth.

I've also read that providing you don't introduce anything into your tank for 30-60 days, it will die out on its own because it can't reproduce. Like Orion, I haven't had a case in years. I tend to create an enviornment for the fish, then add them afterwards. I sometimes think that we try to do much for the fish and that can stress them. I think as long as we try to create aquariums that are homes rather than fish tanks, our fish will be healthier for it.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Interesting comments about stress.

I introduced a somewhat beaten up Bluegill to my 40 gallon tank and all of the others except the very smallest one constantly picked on it. So I set up a 20 last night, gave it a little jump start with some good bacteria and some of the ceramic filter media from my cycled tank. Added the newest (shyest) one along with the smallest one. Threw in a couple of Sculpin today too. It seems much more relaxed, cruising around the tank not having to constantly be on guard.

Watching the chem tests closely and the bad things are at zero. Will do a 25% change tomorrow.