how to rid of aiptasia

RX93

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2006
as titled, i was told not to rip it or cut it because they will just spread even more. Peppermint shrimp does eat aiptasia right? i was looking forward to getting a fire shrimp later, will it do the same and eat aiptasia? my tank is not stable enough for shrimp yet, don't want to take the risk. Any suggestions?

Thanks

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
ive used Aiptasia-X and it didnt work well for me. the aiptasia disappeared for a couple weeks then would come back. after that i added 2 pepperment shrimp and they seem to have munched on the aiptasia since i havent seen one since.

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
I have heard that the problem with peppermint shrimp is that once the aiptasia are gone they will start munching on other corals in your tank. Some suggest to keep peppermint shrimp in a fuge and remove infected pieces of LR to place in the fuge for the shrimp to clean. This way the shrimp get fed, the anenome get removed and you don't lose any of your valuable corals.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I have two pieces of Aiptasia in my tank and bought some Aiptasia X. I cleaned my tank this morning then used the Aiptasia X on both of them. I was going to ask what they were but couldn't get a good pic of them to post so I asked my LFS. I told the man at the store that two pieces of my LR cam with some kinda coral on them, lol. He told me that they were the type of coral that I didn't want.

RX93

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2006
I haven't had time to buy Aiptasia -X yet, but tried the hot water method. Some of them seem to be dying (duh, boiled water). Maybe will try the lemon juice method if i still haven't had time to get aip-x

ITFC

New Fish
Dec 29, 2008
i injected lemon juice in the big bad boy i had, but the small ones i couldn't get to, i got a peppermint shrimp (Pepe) and he has dealt the lot! i didn't even see him eating it, but it's all gone!