How to setup a Hospital or fry tank

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I know that you add water, heater and filter. I have a 10 gallon tank. My main question is how do you cycles the tank? Does it have to be cycled or not? The same question for fry tank. A hospital tank is supposed to be safe right? But wont a nitrite spike effect the sick fish or the fry? Could anyone tell me how to setup a hospital or a fry tank step by step.*SUNSMILE*

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I run two filters on my regular tanks and when I need a hospital tank I take floss from one of the filters and one or two large rocks. Some people even use some of the water from the regular tanks.

If you can, it's best to keep one up and running all the time.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
It is best to keep one hospital tank up and running but if there are no fish in the tank wont the benifcial bacteria die off? as no ammonia! Its all a little hard for me to understand. Even if we take large rocks or the floss wont that take a little time for the bacteria to grow? I know I am a little slow. Sorry!

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I've never experienced a cycle using the method above. I always have two 5 gallons up and running with filters, gravel, plants and snails. If I know in advance that I'm going to put a fish in then I'll add a drop of ammonia a couple days before. Otherwise I just take floss from one of the big tanks. :)