how to start a SW tank?

Mar 23, 2005
buckhannon, West Virginia
hello all,

I have a freshwater tank at the moment, but i really wanna switch to saltwater. I have a ten gallon tank i was thinking about starting out with that and then later on once i get the hang of it switch my 30 gallon over to SW. But i have to be honest i know NOTHING what so ever about saltwater. I was wondering if anyone knows where i can find like some kind of complete guide on how to start one, like for instance that tells all chemicals, equipment and every thing you need. Like i said in know nothing about SW. the only thing i know is that thier is salt in the water......lol. I would be very appreciative of any knd of help offered. The main reason i want to switch is because the fish are so much more exotic and beautiful. Any type of help would be nice :) . Thanks

C.j.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
It's not that i disagree with Camaro, because he's very knowledgeable. But my first and only salt water tank is a 10 gallon and so far it's working out really great. If you're on a slightly smaller budget it helps to start smaller, because Live rock costs are cheaper, there's no dire need for a skimmer, powerheads and marine salt are needed in smaller quantities.

this doesn't mean you can do less research, planning and overall maintenance. But if you put a lot of thought into it, and planning you should probably be able to handle the 10. In my opinion.

Mar 23, 2005
I would like to start out using my 30 but uinfortunetly, i am on a very small budget, and im still in high school and i dont have a job. Do you know where i can get a copy of 'the new marine aquarium' ? There arent many pet/fish stores around where i live, I usually have to drive about 45 min to the closest one. Does this book you speak of contain information on how to set an aquarium up?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
while it is certainly possible to start with a 10, a 30 is going to be much more forgiving and the cost difference between a 10 and a 30 is fairly small...but as dustin says a ten is certainly doable and a lot of people start out with tens anymore; my personal opinion is if you can afford it you should go for the 30, if you can't then the ten should be fine too...oh, and my last piece of advice is to consider getting a job because this hobby gets expensive quickly

the book is on sale at amazon.com right now and they are also offering it as a package with "conscientious marine aquarist" by fenner (another good book)

Mar 23, 2005
well, another reason why I was planning on starting with the 10 gallon is because there are no fish in this tank, But it is up and running with Freshwater. My 30 gallon is occupied with FW fish at the moment. And about the job, im pretty sure i have a job lined up thats atleast for a week, i know thats not very long but i know the guy and he pays very well, so that should get me started. Oh, what about a filter system? right now the filter thats on the tank is a whisper 10-20 gal, is that ok for SW?

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The book is only $14 right now, and from $10 for a used one. You'll save at least twice that by reading it and making the right decisions on your setup. You can always as the local library if they have a copy or can get one for you. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...32/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-1427264-4460936

A saltwater aquarium isn't something you should rush into without knowing the theories behind how it works.

Mar 23, 2005
Lotus said:
The book is only $14 right now, and from $10 for a used one. You'll save at least twice that by reading it and making the right decisions on your setup. You can always as the local library if they have a copy or can get one for you. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...32/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-1427264-4460936

A saltwater aquarium isn't something you should rush into without knowing the theories behind how it works.
I totally agree, I want to do as much reading up and studying as i can. Thats a good idea, i will check the library. thanks for the advice :)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
your whisper will be ok but you won't want to run the filter media. you will also need a couple powerheads

i am now going to direct you to the stickies at the top of this forum. there is some good information in those about setting up a tank, skimmers, and things you will need...all of this is worth reading