How to tell if a BTA has passed on?

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
My bubble tip anenome isn't looking well and hasn't been for some time. A good percentage of his tentacles have shrivelled and turned grey. His foot often looks swollen in places and unhealthy. He rarely opens and is looking very worse for wear. I know they're delicate and require quite specific lighting and despite being told this, I selfishly had to find out for myself. I was hopeful when I saw that he didn't move far from where I initially placed him and settled on one of the tallest peaks in the aquarium. Obviously the higher he is, the more light he recieves. If he was wild caught, there was no damage done to his foot because he anchored immediately. When my maroon clown first saw him it was love at first sting. I feel embarrased and foolish that through my 'I'll try it anyway" mindset, a creature that could quite happily live almost indefinatly is perishing at my hand. I feel sad for my clown. He absolutely loves/ed the BTA.
From the reading I have done I fear that there is little I can do to save him and so I am writting to ask what signs will tell me that it is dead? I have read stories of people not knowing their anenome had died, and so when they finally remove it, it disintergrates and is very smelly. I don't want this but I also don't want to remove it if it is still living, and cause it further suffering.
One more question. Is there any danger of being stung from the foot and does it really hurt that much?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I'm sure if someone saw this and knew how to tell they'd let you know.
Unfortunately I'm a freshwater guy so the only thing I can suggest is poking it with a stick.Sorry if thats not much help.
Surely there are places on the net with more info.You just have to find them.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well, there are a few indicators of health that you can check, is it sticky? does food stick to it, your hand etc...also does the foot still stick, is it contantly rolled up side down, or is the mouth loose or gaping open? it shoudl be sticky, it shouldnt be upside down, and the mouth should be tight. it shoudl also eat readily, color change does not necesarrily mean death. If it isnt doing well I would just flush it, its not worth it crawling into your rock work and dying.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Thanks for the response Ares,
I don't know if the BTA is sticky. I've never touched it. He is attached to his rock. The mouth is closed and the anenome istelf is closed more than he is open. Although the maroon clown remains close, he cannot really house himself in it as he used to.
I'll take and post some pictures when I can