how to tell if overfeeding betta

jfish

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i have had my betta for 2 months now and he seemed to be happy, now for the last week he just lays on the bottom and swims only to come up to the top, I haven't noticed any disease on him so I can't figure out what is the problem? And how can u tell if they are being overfed, I feed him once a day about 4 pieces of the betta food, hope someone can help my little buddy! Thanks

Jfish

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
How often are you changing your betta's water and what type of container is he in?

Many things can cause a betta to lie listless on the bottom of his container.  

The primary consideration is water foulness. If ammonia and fish waste (feces, rotten food) are allowed to accumulate in the water, they can poison the fish slowly over time to the point he is depressed and will eventually succum to the toxic stuff.  With bettas in unfiltered environments, no matter how large, a 50% water change should be done every day, usually it is best to do so after a feeding so any uneaten food can be removed from the container.

The second consideration is water temperature.  Fish become depressed in lower temperatures as their metabolism slows down. Anything below 68oF might be harmful to your betta.  Also extreamly high temperatures can be dangerous. Anything above 84oF can make a fish spaz-out.

If extream temperatures and water quality can be ruled out, the third and most contrivertial explaination is simple depression.  Male bettas that do not have anything to flare at once and awhile sometimes become depressed.  Place a mirror near your bettas tank for perhaps ten minutes a day and watch him flare and dance at his reflection, trying to chase off the "rival" fish.  When you remove the mirror, you betta perceives this as a dominate victory, and it may help improve his mood a bit and increase his betta self confidance.

It is very common for male bettas to spend a majority of their day resting, either on the leaves and within the plant decorations, or on the bottom if there is nothing else (mine "sleeps" inside a coffee mug in his tank<G>).  They have such long finnage that it makes their swimming cumbersome and expands alot of energy.  Feed your betta as you are doing now, one piece of food at a time, and make sure he eats each previous piece before you put in the next one. Usually 4-6 pellets is enough. I would also increase to feeding your fish twice a day. You can tell when a betta has had enough food by how swollen his belly will be (in the spot directly behind his pectoral fins) when he is done eating. My betta has taken up to ten pellets if I have felt especially generous in spoiling him.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
~~Colesea

jfish

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't know what the deal is but this morning I woke up and his eyes look really cloudy, and when I put my finger up against the glass to see if he would react it was almost like he didn't see me. So then I decide to try and feed him and when I put a piece of food in he didn't even react to that either, I have no idea what is wrong he just kind of floats around. I don't want to lose the lil guy but I don't know what to do, I have changed the water twice, what else can I do?

Jfish

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Cloudy eyes are usually a sign of infection and illness.

Again...what do you have your betta in?

It can be pretty easy to medicate a betta that is in 1 gallon of water or more, but medicating a betta in one of those tiny little decortive things is definately out of the question.  Especially those stupid vases.

Place your betta into a nice, clean environment. Remove all gravel and decor from his tank. Wash all gravel and decor in a 10% bleach solution, rinse them off very well, then set them aside. You don't want to put them back in the tank with a sick fish.

Then go to your LFS and pick up some Triple-sulfa, which is a sulfur based medication that is pretty good at clearing up cloudy eyes.  If they don't have Triple-sulfa, get Maracide, or Melefix.  

Use the medications as directed on the bottle.  Most dosage is done drop per gallon, so if you have your betta in anything less than 1 gallon you will have to figure the appropriate dosage yourself.

Always keep the water quality of your tank drinkable.  If you would not drink out of your betta's bowl, it is not clean enough.

Feed as normal.
Good luck
~~Colesea