How to tell if your heater works?

So I have a TRONIC electric heater and it seems that it doesn't work. I have never seen the pilot light come on since I've had it and now that the temps are cooler out and the door is open more, I'm right around 77 degrees and the temp on the heater was set to around 79 degrees.

I just cranked it up to 81 to see if it will work but I need to know if there is another way to find out if it works before I call "foul" and take it back for a new one.

I have touched the glass but it feels about water temp.

Let me know cause I'm getting frustrated. *ALL*

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Don't take it out of the water...you bust heaters that way. The dials on heaters are notoriously inaccurate, so don't rely on the temp settings on those. Simply turn it up until the pilot light comes on, then put your hand around it and see if it's warm. If the light doesn't come on or it isn't warm, take it back and get a new one. You may have burnt it out or it may have come defective. You MUST unplug the heater everytime you do a water change. They're really sensitive to different temperature water going over them when they're on, I literally blew one of mine up once, glass all over the tank, not fun...:(