how tu cure LR

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
hi guys (some of you proberly read my post) how do i go about saving some of this rock by recuring them.

not alot is dead. but i want to make sure i dont stuff my tank up again.

cheers.aron.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Get a big, non poisonous container (spare tank or whatever) fill with seawater, put in allall rock and wait till ammonia goes to zero.
You'll need a minimum of a powerhead and a heater. If you want to maximise survived life you'll need to do frequent LARGE water changes and keep a skimmer on it.

Check out wetwebmedia.com for more comments on curing rock. I'm surprised you haven't seen this before?

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
seawater - is that for best survivial rate ( i live 2+ hr drive away from the sea) will sinthetic salt do. also can i just put an el-chepo skimmer in there (air stone one)...

by the way. woke up this morning and fish/coral are all still alive. ill be doing a large water change tonight.

cheers.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
cool. thanks for that. ill pass on the skimmer. and do dialy water transfer.

im going to be doing this outside in natrual sunlight (it is undercover just natural light coming in ) is this ok or should i cover the containers.

cheers
cheers. aron

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
cool. thanks for that. ill pass on the skimmer. and do dialy water transfer.

im going to be doing this outside in natrual sunlight (it is undercover just natural light coming in ) is this ok or should i cover the containers.

cheers
cheers. aron

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No, I wouldn't bother. Put it under sunlight and I think you'll get a hell of a lot of algae which is both a blessing and a curse, though principally a curse. I wouldn't get too fancy with this, I use a big plastic tub I got at IKEA, a powerhead and a heater. If you don't mind the water changes it's easier than tweaking up a cheapo skimmer

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
so..how bad is the smell? should i not keep the curing vat in my bedroom? Will that hurt my bachelor lifestyle? :)

I'm thinking of getting some "pre-cured" live rock...so maybe the stench wont be as bad.

Also..do you need to cure Live Sand? Or do you just pour it into your tank?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
pre-cured should be just that, cured...no smell

the curing process really stinks...its basically a bunch of stuff dying and deteriorating...smells like slow death

live sand does not need cured...and is also kind of a waste of money imo

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Think rotting seafood. Cause that's what it is.

You don't need to cure live sand as there's not much that's live, or dead, in it in all honesty

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
ok curing this live rock isnt working (ive done tones of water changes and the water still goes black and stinky, its starting to cost me money in buying bags of salt). im wondering is it worth taking out some of the smaller flat pieces and drying them (killing everything off) therefore turing them into base rock. and putting them into the tank like that. im asuming things will eventualy start to grow on it.

cheers aron.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i wouldn't take any of the stuff out and dry it...waste of money. as far as salt, all you can really do is get the biggest container out there (cheapest that way), which is usually around 50 pounds, and keep plugging away at it

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
It can help your cure along if you go in and scrub all the LR to get and dead stuff off of it. Use a brush and a 5 gallon bucket filled with SW, scrub it off and then rinse it inthe 5 gallon bucket. If you have lots of sponges and stuff this will help speed things up.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
ok. is it possible im trying to cure to much in a small space. iv got 20kg of smallish rock, in 1 bucket. should i have 2 or 3 buckets with 5 kg or something in it. problem i have is iv only got 1 powerhead.

cheers aron.