How warm is too warm?

Sep 2, 2006
ND
I have everything plugged in and running in the tank that I am cycling right now. It is a 6 gal that was given to me and I plan on putting a (JUST ONE) Betta in it. The little heater that came with the tank seems to be a bit much. It has been on for 3 days now, and the temp has steadily been increasing. I checked it this evening and it was 82F. Great for bacteria, but I am concerned that it will get too warm for fish when the time comes.

The heater has no thermastat, so my only way to regulate the temp in the tank is to unplug it for awhile. I suspect that YO YOing temps would be bad for fish. I plan on keeping it plugged in to see just how warm the water gets and if it stabilizes after a time, but I was curious as to how warm I can let the water get and still have it be healthy for bacteria growth, and eventually fish?

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
I try to keep my 5 gallon around 80, and I see you must have the same heater as me. right now, i dont even have it plugged in, because my room temp is generally 80-82. a little on the warm side, but my fish are doing great. if your room temperature is between 76-80, thats perfect, and i doubt you would need to use your heater then. but generally in that 76-80 zone is perfect for them.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
What kind of heater is it?? I'm guessing from what you're saying that its not a type you can adjust the temperature?? I think I'd invest in a little heater for the tank that has an adjustable temp. Would be well worth it I think. btw I agree 82 is not bad...but I wouldn't want it a whole lot more ahead of that.

Sep 2, 2006
ND
The heater has no adjustments. Does anyone make a heater with a temp control on it for that small of a tank? And with just the Betta in there, will I really need to run a heater? I know that they are often kept in bowls with no heaters at all.

Still at 82F BTW.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I had one of those heaters. I only used it during the winter.

Before you get your fish, try it without the heater, and see what the maximum and minimum temps the tanks goes to are.

There are 25 watt heaters available that are adjustable, but they're not always easy to find in stores. One of those should work fine on your tank. To be honest, I don't think 82 is too high for a betta.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Betta's are tropical and are fine at 82. 85 is when I start to worry but I suspect they'd be fine with that as well as long as it was only temporary. A bigger concern would be sudden temperature swings of more than 3 degrees or so.

I bought all of my adjustable small tank heaters at large chain pet stores or you could order one online. Try to get one that has a themometer in it instead of one of those that you turn on, check the temp with a seperate themometer, turn it up or down, check the temp again. Not sure who thought that was a good idea...