how would they do????

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Well I haven't posted anything in a while, had a huge dilema in my 55g, all my fish died except 6...So I lost about 20 or so fish, it really sucked.....but on to newer things....I was just wondering if my Gourami's could handle brackish water or would that be to much salt for them...I was just thinking of getting a couple dwarf puffers, or a couple figure eights or both...but if they can't handle the salt or if for any reason anyone may have for not mixing these fish I will definatly wait to get them...Any opinions on this are appreciated as I don't want to endanger any fish with salt overdose or anything else...Thanx in advance guys, hope to hear from ya soon

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Wow, Lotus, thanks for linking to that... very enlightening about the puffers, especially the ones that are usually listed as brackish. The info runs contrary to everything I've read about the green spotted puffer, the Tetraodon nigroviridis. A local fish store sells these guys, and I always figured they were brackish. I guess people get confused with the full brackish species, the Tetraodon fluvialitis.

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
thanks Lotus....I wasn't necessarily looking at making my tank brackish it was just that I was thinking of getting the puffers and always noted that they are brackish but if they are not then it would make life a lot easier....What do you think of mixing the dwarfs with the Gouramis...I know they are fin nippers but the gouramis are quite quick and with it being a large tank do you think it's feesable????I'm just trying to get some opinions to help me make my decision...Thanx

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
This is another site on which puffers are FW and which are BW. It's based on discussions on the puffer forum, so I guess it's pretty accurate: http://home.messiah.edu/~dw1178/pufferlist.htm

There is a lot of misinformation on the Web (and in LFSs) about puffers, and which ones are BW and which are FW. The puffer forum has a lot of people with good experience on puffers, and they seem to know for sure which are which.