HOW?

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
if i was decided to change my 10g tank into a salt water tank how would i do this?

valdok

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
val.textdrive.com
I wouldn't suggest anyone starting off on SW to use a 10 gallon. The smallest I'd go for a newbie tank is 20 or 30, the bigger the better. The larger water volume in the bigger tanks allow for more errors, while still hopefully keeping your fish alive. The most important thing to remember when stocking a saltwater tank is that the one inch per gallon rule DOES NOT APPLY with saltwater. Go to a LFS you trust that has a large selection of saltwater gear and fish/corals/anemones; I've found that the more saltwater fish one offers, the better equipt with knowledge they are. Ask them for a good book on how a beginner can start a tank, and work from there. Most importantly, and the biggest difference from freshwater in my opinion, saltwater tanks just take more patience and time. Also, search this site for topics related to yours, there are literally dozens of them.

bobrob

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Belfast, Northern Ireland
A saltwater 10 gallon isnt at all good for a beginner to saltwater. Your going to want to have pretty colours and stuff. The maximum recommended in that size of tank would be 1 clownfish (you could probably get away with that), maybe a few small crustaceons. Valdok was right the Bigger the Beter.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Keeping a 10 or even smaller is technically possible, it's just that a 20 long or 30 is a whole load easier for pretty much the same price. Bigger tank = more stability, and stability is just so important.