Huge belly and stringy white poop

TLG

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
My female guppy that had 25 fry two weeks ago,was huge before dropping fry and never got smaller.She is now so huge I feel sorry for her. Also she is having long stringy white or clearish poop. What kind of parasite might this be?? Or is there something else that causes this and what do I do? Is this kind of thing contagious??Thanks!

Roop

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2003
i have a white molly that had this. she got very large because she was pregnant. she never had the babies, just kept getting larger. a couple days before she died, there was a white fecal like structure comming out of her.

TLG

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
She died

Thanks for your info,my guppy died a few days ago. She was real large when she died,I don't know what was wrong with her.TLG

backwoods

Small Fish
Sep 15, 2004
Omaha, NE
Visit site
Originally posted by Roop
i have a white molly that had this. she got very large because she was pregnant. she never had the babies, just kept getting larger. a couple days before she died, there was a white fecal like structure comming out of her.
I had the same thing happen to a great looking blue,white and orange Platy today. She was showing signs of being pregnant and about 5 days ago I noticed a abnormally long and stringy white poop, the next day she stopped eating completely. After further examination I'm 100% sure she was pregnant with the fry still developing. I was worried I had somehow stressed her to death but after searching MFT I think it's just a sad but all to common fate.

llama

New Fish
Oct 22, 2004
Visit site
Well from the other posts it looks like this may be something else thats common in livebearers, but I had two danios that wasted away (wouldn't eat) while they had mucousy white poop, decided it must've been hexamita (an intestinal parasite also linked to hole-in-head disease in larger fish, probably due to malnutrition)

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
No. What kind of diet is she on? She is probably constipated from being over-fed or fed only one certain type of food. Try some skinless peas for a few days and she if she gets better.

That being said it could be a parasite and there are many medicinces that will help with the internal problems. Does she flash, scratch, or rub against things in the tank?

Oh and by the way the 5 gallon is pretty overstocked and their white poop may be an indication of poor water quality.