Huge bubble nest

Aaron

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2004
Right under your boat...
Last weekend I was in Walmart poking around the pet section and saw a betta in a knocked over cup. Half the water was gone and I felt so bad for the pitiful thing that I bought him. I put him in a spare 5 gallon tank with some left over gravel and covered the tank with a wire cover from when I kept a frog.

By Tuesday he had built a nice little bubble nest and by Saturday it was easily five inches wide. Does this mean he wants to breed or is he just keeping busy?

As a comment on the way Walmart views their fish the checkout girl tossed him in a bag. I don't know why Walmart wanted my fish dead.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Temperature usually makes no difference. Note: Males AND Females can blow nests. Trinity, my female (and mother of 30 fry) regularly builds a small nest at the top of her jar. I've heard some females even assist males in blowing nests.

Note: Even UNHEALTHY bettas can blow nests, depending on what is making them sick or not. Nest building is instinctive. Sometimes a female triggers it, sometimes another males appearance, sometimes nothing.