Huge tank

Jun 18, 2010
Well, I'm a newbie to this site. I was recently at a neighbor's garage sale, and he was selling a large 100 gallon tank for 200 bucks with a hood, but no stand. (I know where I can put it though) I looked up 100 gallon tanks online and this is an amazing deal, it's in need of cleaning though, I would still have to buy decorations and a filter and heater.

I was looking up fish, and I really like the following fish, and was wondering how they would do.

Different Malawi cichlids
Synodontis catfish
Blood Parrot cichlids
Banded Leporinus
Redhook Silver dollar
Silver Shark
Suckermouth Catfish
Tiger Oscar

I have learned about cycling and everything, I kept native fish with my turtles before, so I learned all about that. I just want to know if the fish will fight or something, or if there won't be enough room. I just am a newbie to fish compatibility.

Thanks for the help!*thumbsups

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
See I would Keep the malawi Cichlids and not stock the others. I have about 30 Mbuna(and tons of babies) and 1 hap in 150 and Peacocks,Haps and a few Mbuna in a 125....There is a ton to choose from in each group from that lake area just make sure you research a little to make sure they will mix.

Jun 18, 2010
Hmm, well, I don't want JUST cichlids. I do like Peacocks, and the others I like are Blue Johani, Yellow Lab, and Bumblebee.

If I do go with a setup without african cichlids I may also buy Denison's Barbs and Kissing Gourami.

Hello, Canis. Be sure to water test the tank before setting it up (let it sit full for 24 hrs).

I agree with the other comments made, that you don't want to mix African cichlids with peacock bass and the Oscars, as they need different pH conditions. The African cichlids will need a high pH (around 8.0), while the Peacock Bass and Oscars will need a much lower pH (around 6.8). This is significant considering there is a 10-fold difference between 7.0 and 8.0, so the pH that the Africans need is 10 times greater than what the Oscars need.

Warren Gibbons
Salt Water Aquarium Secrets

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Another thing to consider is filtration and water changes.

I have a 100 gallon tank that is fairly heavily stocked with 4 Bluegills that are 6-7 inches long, a 9" long Catfish and a 5 inch long Sculpin. I have 2 AC 110 filters in service and consider that the bare minimum. I have no doubt there is better (and more expensive) filtration available. I usually service them once a month.

I do 50% water changes every two weeks because I like healthy fish and don't feel like fighting diseases. I use a gravel vacuum to get the big stuff out and usually pump the rest out to get it down to 1/2 full. I use a submersible pump (the kind used in Koi ponds) to pump out and fill the tank. A good pump will cost you around $100. I have a 55 gallon barrel that I use solely for water changes. You can treat the tank and then fill it with the hose, but I prefer to treat only the change water and then pump it in. PRIME is what I recommend because a little bit goes a long, long way and it also de-toxifies ammonia (NH3) in Chloraminated water.

Finally, my tank weighs about 250-300 lbs. empty. Add 800 pounds of water, sand and rocks and you have one very heavy unit there.
Make sure your stand is sturdy and flat. Support the tank at the ends using two strips of 1/8th inch thick wood and you should be good to go.