hurricane

Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
I live in houston and is this hurricane hits us im might not have any power and i was just wondering how long can my tank go with out power to it?I got a 65 gal. tank.If it comes down to it i will go get a generator if it comes down to it..

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I think if you have access to a generator you would be fine for any situation. I would be scared of loosing power because then my powerheads would stop and eliminate the filtration I think, aswell as temperature control.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
on battery operated air pumps your tank should have 12-18 hours depending on how heavily it is stocked, I would get a small generator and put pumps and skimmer on it and forget the lights, your tank is fine for a couple days with out lights but a couple days without powerheads or a skimmmer and everything will be dead, just comes down to how much you have invested at this point, is it worth not getting a generator?

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
It may be too late now, but in the future, battery operated air pumps are must-haves for short term power loss, in my opinion. I have three D-cell battery Azoo units, bought incredibly cheaply at Dr.s Foster Smith, an online aquatic outlet. They really are the epitome of crude and ghetto, but a couple of them hooked to two airstones a piece, placed right at the top of the water as to not stir detritus below but provide aeration, will get you through a short term power outage.

I plan to invest in a generator when I own a house in the future.

Good luck with getting through the hurricane. Best wishes for you and Houston.

tydirian

Medium Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Houston, TX
If you do not already have a generator the stores have been out since yesterday. You may get lucky and find one that came in today but unlikely. I am in Houston as well and have 3 tanks that I am worried about.

Good luck.