Hurricanes and filters

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
Well, Hurricane Ernesto is supposed to hit either tomorrow or Wednesday and I was wondering, if the power goes out, what should I do with my filter so the bacteria stays alive? I already have a battery powered air pump and some Stress Coat, but I was just worried about that one little thing.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I'd put my filter media in the tank, and just be sure to have as much water circulation as humanly possible. You might want to stir your tanks from time to time, in addition to using the battery powered air pumps.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Eep. I forgot about the power thing. Maybe I should have asked my dad to tell me where the generator is... we only lost power for about 20 minutes during Wilma though since the Weston powerlines are underground. Hopefully this one'll be weak enough that it doesn't do anything.

Just keep your filter in water so the bacteria doesn't dry out and die, and like homebunnyj said, figure out how to keep a flow going in the tank. Do you have a battery-powered fan or something similar that you could set up? If needed, you may be able to use something like that to cause disturbance on the water's surface. :eek:

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
PlecoCollector said:
Eep. I forgot about the power thing. Maybe I should have asked my dad to tell me where the generator is... we only lost power for about 20 minutes during Wilma though since the Weston powerlines are underground. Hopefully this one'll be weak enough that it doesn't do anything.

Just keep your filter in water so the bacteria doesn't dry out and die, and like homebunnyj said, figure out how to keep a flow going in the tank. Do you have a battery-powered fan or something similar that you could set up? If needed, you may be able to use something like that to cause disturbance on the water's surface. :eek:
Well, lucky for you...my power was out for two weeks last hurricane season! While everyone was celebrating about two weeks off from school, I was just stuck at home because I had no gas and all the gas stations were out as well...

Why do you have to keep a flow going? Would stiring the water around every hour or so with my net or a long spoon work?

Oh, and do I just put my Bio-Wheel in water or the entire filter?

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Chris89 said:
Well, lucky for you...my power was out for two weeks last hurricane season! While everyone was celebrating about two weeks off from school, I was just stuck at home because I had no gas and all the gas stations were out as well...

Why do you have to keep a flow going? Would stiring the water around every hour or so with my net or a long spoon work?
Aw, sorry :( I was part of that 2% who didn't lose power and that's only because my house is inbetween two fire stations, so the area was priority to get back up. And I only got a week off school, if that makes you feel any better :p

Keeping the water flow going just makes it so the water doesn't go all stale and such (bad bad bad explanation, but I don't know the "scientific" reasons behind it). Plus, if your bacteria is just sitting there, it doesn't get any new "food" or something of that sort. I think stirring it around would do just fine. :)

Feel free to call me if you need anything; I don't think this storm will be bad, but hey, anything could happen...