Hurt Barb

Jan 4, 2010
I have a cherry barb who was bitten by another fish, since then it doesnt eat much and stays in the corner, bottom of the tank. I was wondering if I put him in a 1 gallon tank just until his fin healed if this would be okay? Or is that too small of a tank for him?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
that would just stress him more... What other fish did that to him? you are keeping around 5-7 of these in your tank right?
Also these do best w/o any aggressive cichlids or tiger barbs/serpae tetra types of fish around..

Jan 4, 2010
It happened when he was still with a goldfish. I have taken the goldie out but I just feel so bad seeing him like that. He is obviously very upset and hurt. he just hides all day and only comes out for food sometimes. I just dont want him to die, I would like to help him how ever I can.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
do what you think is best for him. My gut reaction would be that the move would be too stressful for him (remember you have to catch him first)

a slight dose of melafix might help...or you can just raise the temps to around 78F and add a little bit of salt to lower stress. id say one teaspoon per 5 gallons. that's being overly cautious about it.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
remember don't use household salt...ever. only aquarium salt is appropriate (there are other safe types but chances are you don't have these in your house)